To many, getting a college degree means getting up each day, getting dressed, packing your stuff, fighting traffic, finding a parking space, sitting through class, then making your way back home. You can easily spend twice as much time getting dressed and commuting as you spend in your classes. Online learning tools change all of that.
SNU’s online degree programs empower you to attend school when and where it’s convenient for you. This may mean you graduate more quickly, get better grades, and spend less time away from your family. Here’s what you need to know about the online learning tools we offer to help you succeed.
Can I Really Do It All Online?
The education world is rapidly changing and innovating to better serve students’ needs. Online education really works—and for many students, it’s a superior option to traditional school. The overwhelming majority of employers now accept online degrees, and most have at least one employee who went to school online. In 2017, 15.4 percent of students attended school exclusively online, and an additional 33.1 percent took at least one class online.
You really can do it all online, and the millions of students who have already done it are living proof. Virtual learning promotes self-direction, fosters technological competence, and gives you back your time.
The cornerstone of any online degree program is great communication—with your peers, your professors, and school administrators. SNU’s online learning program uses Google apps for email services, which makes sending and receiving messages a snap. Alongside this, you’ll get access to a variety of different collaborative tools, including Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Slides, and Google Hangouts. You’ll find these very useful as you are trying to work with your classmates in an online setting.
With your email account, you’ll get a professional email address that can bolster your credibility when seeking internships and contacting employers. If you have trouble logging in, our Information Technology Helpdesk is here for you.
In addition to offering speedy, reliable communication, your SNU email is your access point for most of the other services we offer. So make sure you set it up early and get help for any bugs before the semester begins.
SNU Student Portal
SNU believes that information is power. Quick access to details about your academic career can help you make informed decisions. Our Student Portal is a one-stop shop for all of your information. Forget about sending request forms, going to administrative offices in person, and giving up half your day to deal with bureaucratic hassle. Instead, find everything you need in one place.
Using your SNU email address, access the following via the Student Portal:
- Financial information, including balances and payments
- Financial aid information, including financial aid status by term and year, your current financial aid award letter, the option to accept or reject financial aid awards, outstanding financial aid paperwork, and the option to alter the amount of the loan you request
- Academic information, including your unofficial transcript, recent grades, GPA, and class schedule
- Administrative communications and messages
Most information you need is in your Student Portal. So skip the trip to the registrar or other administrative buildings, and spend that time studying or enjoying some much-deserved downtime!
Easy Textbook Access
Between 2006 and 2016, already high textbook costs increased by 88 percent. The College Board estimates that the average student will spend $1,168 on books and supplies each year. Many students struggle to find recent copies of textbooks, or waste time ordering online or visiting multiple stores in the quest for all their books. We reduce textbook costs and frustration with automatic textbook delivery from Tree of Life. Learn more about our Textbook Butler service here. If you choose to purchase your own books, you can always opt out of this service.
Canvas Online Classes
All online classes at SNU take place via Canvas. This comprehensive online learning tool gives you the in-person class experience from the comfort of your home. You can log in to this system using your SNU email account. Before you get started, we recommend watching this introductory video here.
So what can you do with Canvas? Just about anything you’d do in a physical classroom:
- Be an active participant in your courses, and share knowledge with other students via discussions.
- Complete online quizzes that test your knowledge and support good study habits.
- Create videos for presentations, communication with professors, and sharing information with your classmates.
- Access your grades for your classes, as well as individual assignments.
Other Great Online Learning Tools
As more schools move online, educators are creating myriad resources to support online learning. You don’t have to go to a physical library anymore, or even meet with your classmates in person. Do it all with these other great online learning resources:
- Get free online 24/7 tutoring with Tutor.com. Access this vital tool via the link in your Canvas account.
- Consistent formatting and style is key to good writing. SNU encourages students to use American Psychological Association (APA) guidelines. To learn more, visit Purdue Owl. Download a free APA Paper Template here. The Naval Postgraduate School Dudley Knox Library offers examples of APA citations here. Sites such as citationmachine and easybib offer automatic APA formatting.
- Academic publications are among the most credible sources you can use in papers and presentations, but they’re often behind a paywall. Access these publications with SNU’s Library Database and Periodicals Holdings.
SNU believes in the power of online learning to reach students who might otherwise be unable to attend college. Our unique program boasts professors who are industry leaders, an accelerated option to graduate more quickly, the opportunity to complete just one class at a time, and support from day one. To learn more about the online learning tools we offer and for additional tips and strategies, download our free guide, What to Expect from an Online Degree Program.