This is the second in a series of articles Chaplain Doug Samples has shared called 10 Decisions for a Positive Attitude. Decision #9 is, “Decide to magnify the LORD rather than our problems.” You can view all 10 decisions here.
Psalm 34:1 says, “O come let us magnify the Lord together. Let HIS PRAISE be continually on our lips!”
But sometimes when I watch how people live their life, it seems like their version of Psalm 34:1 is, “O come let us magnify our problems together. Let us talk about them until they become impossible.”
Decision #9 in our 10-part series invites us to “Decide to Magnify the LORD rather than our problems.”
I may not be the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but I know that whenever you look at something through a magnifying glass…it gets bigger! So, if you are always magnifying your problems, they are going to get bigger. On the other hand, if you choose to magnify the LORD, then HE is going to get bigger!!!
This is not rocket science folks! Even a simple boy from West Virginia can figure this out! So… let me keep this simple!
How do we magnify our problems?
- We worry about what might be.
- We allow discouragement to paralyze us
- We try to control factors that are out of your control.
- We sit around and feel sorry for ourselves.
- We dominate every conversation with complaints about our problem.
- We are actually afraid of success!
- We allow past failures to create a mindset of failure.
- We see problems instead of opportunities.
- We make excuses rather than making things happen.
- We never find any reason to be grateful!
How do we magnify the Lord?
- The joy of the Lord is our strength! Nehemiah 8:10
- I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength! Philippians 4:13
- The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want! Psalm 23;1
- Be of good cheer, I have overcome the world! John 16:33
- Thy Kingdom come... thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven! Matthew 6:10
- Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
- God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. 1st Corinthians 10:13
- If God is for me, who can be against me? Romans 8:31
- Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for you are with me; your rod and staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:4
- In the beginning, God created… Genesis 1:1
It’s real simple: we have problems in our life, and we have the LORD in our life. Which one do you want to magnify?