Ready to start a new career in information systems and technology? No matter where you hope to work or what you’re passionate about, an associate’s degree in computer information systems can help prepare you. At SNU, our Associate of Science (A.S.) in Information Systems and Technology builds a foundation of knowledge upon which you can build a lucrative and rewarding career. Whether you’re just starting out or hoping to switch careers, SNU caters to your needs and passions with flexible programs and an accelerated track so you can start your career as quickly as possible.
Reasons to Consider an A.S. in Information Systems and Technology
Careers in information systems and technology are booming. In May 2021, the median wage for IT roles was $97,430 — more than double the median wage for all occupations.
A switch to digital technology, an increased focus on cloud computing and remote work, and ongoing interest in artificial intelligence, innovation, and the next big technology mean that IT jobs aren’t going away. You will enjoy job security and countless opportunities. The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects 13% growth between 2020 and 2030.
But how do you get started if you’re not already in IT? An associate’s degree gives you the background knowledge you need to switch careers, transition to a bachelor’s degree, and climb the ladder at work. The benefits of this program include:
A Foundation for Your Life
The world of IT can feel complicated and overwhelming. An associate’s degree gives you the background you need to continue learning and growing in your career.
A Chance to Innovate
Whether you want to invent new technology or just move your company’s storage to the cloud, an associate’s degree is the first step toward acquiring the skills you need to drive meaningful innovation.
Flexible Career Options
The world of IT is vast and diverse. With an understanding of systems and technology, you can take on many roles. You can seamlessly shift from one company to another, gain the background you need to start your own business or become a consultant, and work in the private sector, government or nonprofits. Whatever you love, there’s a place for you in the world of IT.
Work You Feel Proud Of
A career in information technology is challenging. It encourages you to continuously grow, learn and evolve. You deserve a career you can feel good about and work that challenges you.
A Chance to Drive Change
Technology drives change, whether it’s social change, world-changing inventions, or cultural shifts — such as the transition to remote learning during the COVID-19 pandemic.
A Path to a Better Life
IT jobs are lucrative, with exceptional benefits and plenty of room for growth. Want to live in a better neighborhood or a nicer house? Need more vacation time, or maybe a vacation home? It all begins with the right education.
Why Choose an Online IT Degree?
An online IT degree program brings college within reach for people who might otherwise not be able to move forward in their education. This is especially true for adult learners, who may be caring for aging parents or young children while juggling the challenges of work and the seemingly endless responsibilities of adult life.
College should be hard. The challenge signals that you’re learning. But it should be your classes that challenge you — not getting to school on time or navigating a sprawling campus. An online IT degree removes many of the barriers returning learners face. The benefits include:
- A chance to learn wherever and whenever it’s convenient to you.
- The ability to pursue your education from anywhere in the world.
- An easier option for people with anxiety about returning to a physical campus.
- Increased accessibility for people with disabilities and those at a high risk of serious COVID complications.
- Less time spent commuting, parking, and dealing with logistics, and more time studying.
- Fewer child care concerns.
- More time with your family.
With fewer hurdles to completion, you may be able to finish faster, and with better grades, than you otherwise thought possible.
Hallmarks of a Quality Information Technology Degree
So how can you separate the wheat from the chaff in the world of IT education? Some signs to look for include:
- The right accreditation: Regional accreditation is more reliable and more likely to mean your credits transfer with you.
- Flexible course options: Strong programs allow you to take courses in the format and on the schedule that works for you.
- Exceptional instructors: You deserve to learn from the best and brightest. Ask who will be teaching your courses.
- Financial aid support: Going to school shouldn't bankrupt you. Returning learners often have financial aid concerns, including defaulted student loans. No matter what you’re struggling with, SNU can help.
- Support for diversity, equity, and inclusion: At SNU, every person matters. We welcome learners of all backgrounds with an inviting campus and friendly support services, like our innovative VETS Center.
Signs It’s Time to Consider a Career Change
If you’re already in the working world, you may wonder how to know when it’s time to make a change. Here are some surefire signs that it’s time to go back to school:
- You’ve lost out on career advancement opportunities because of your education.
- You want to switch careers, but you're not sure where to begin.
- You think you’ve hit a career ceiling.
- You need more money or more benefits.
- You want a career, not just a job.
- You want to model the values of hard work and perseverance to your kids.
- You’re ready for a major change in your life.
- You need more financial independence.
What to Expect at SNU
SNU caters to adult learners, with flexible programs designed for the competing demands of real life.
As part of your program, you’ll complete 60 credit hours, with the opportunity to graduate in as few as 24 months. With multiple start dates, you don’t have to pursue your dreams on someone else’s timeline. As a regionally accredited university, we’ve gained the respect of our colleagues and peers, and your work here is likely to transfer to other schools.
Experts in the field teach our classes, ensuring an exceptional academic experience. Some of the classes you’ll take include:
- Information Systems and Analysis
- Windows Operating Systems and Maintenance
- Networking Fundamentals
- Hardware and Operating Systems
- Programming Languages and Fundamentals
- Cloud Operations
- Database Design and Administration
- Information Technology Project Management
Take classes online from the comfort of your home, or complete your degree with nightly classes that integrate seamlessly into your life. With our innovative cohort model, you’ll get the help and support you need to keep going while building a strong professional network.
Today’s online degree programs offer flexibility and rigor, ensuring you gain a strong understanding of the fundamentals without disrupting your life. Employers are increasingly accepting of online degrees, especially from a regionally accredited institution like SNU. Learn more about what to expect by downloading our free guide, “What to Expect from an Online Degree Program.”